Strong Young Aboriginal Parents (SYAP)
SYAP is capacity development program that provides young parents with the tools to self-manage issues in their community, families and neighbourhoods over time;
- Provide support to vulnerable young parents to overcome social disadvantage;
- Facilitate face to face contact with clients to provide, education awareness in addressing significant social issues;
- Promote individuals and groups about positive parenting practices and goal setting processes using accessible and relevant materials and
- Promote skills and knowledge to encourage young parents to participate in community activities and take on leadership roles, while providing training in good parenting
Birrang delivers workshops and activities on a Thursday from 10am to 1pm in locations suited to the content of the workshop. (Please call 0263619511 to confirm the location).
The workshops include but not limited to;
- Positive Parenting
- Making ends meet
- Tenancy and managing your home
- Healthier Living
- Job Ready
- Service awareness days
- Fun / activity days
The activities and workshops are delivered in a sensitive and culturally appropriate manner, they are informal and inviting.
Birrang delivers the following Tenant Support and Community Education workshops across New South Wales.
- Rent it Keep It – rights and responsibilities
- Budgeting – making ends meet
- Home maintenance – environmental health and sustainability
- Health and Nutrition – healthy eating on a budget
- Household hints and tips – cleaning without chemicals, heating and cooling without electricity
- Basic Family First Aid (Non Accredited) – choking, poisons, CPR and other common injuries
- Job Ready Workshops – Building and strengthening a resume, Interview skills and role plays