Strong Young Aboriginal Parents (SYAP)
SYAP is capacity development program that provides young parents with the tools to self-manage issues in their community, families and neighbourhoods over time;
- Provide support to vulnerable young parents to overcome social disadvantage;
- Facilitate face to face contact with clients to provide, education awareness in addressing significant social issues;
- Promote individuals and groups about positive parenting practices and goal setting processes using accessible and relevant materials and
- Promote skills and knowledge to encourage young parents to participate in community activities and take on leadership roles, while providing training in good parenting
Birrang delivers workshops and activities on a Thursday from 10am to 1pm in locations suited to the content of the workshop. (Please call 0263619511 to confirm the location).
The workshops include but not limited to;
- Positive Parenting
- Making ends meet
- Tenancy and managing your home
- Healthier Living
- Job Ready
- Service awareness days
- Fun / activity days
The activities and workshops are delivered in a sensitive and culturally appropriate manner, they are informal and inviting.
Birrang is contracted to deliver Tenant Support and Community Education workshops across New South Wales. Currently we are delivering Life Skills Workshops to participants aligned with Wattle Tree House on Tuesdays and last Thursdays of the month in Bathurst. Birrang also delivers fortnightly to Glenroi and Bowen communities within Orange.
- Rent it Keep It – rights and responsibilities
- Budgeting – making ends meet
- Home maintenance – environmental health and sustainability
- Health and Nutrition – healthy eating on a budget
- Household hints and tips – cleaning without chemicals, heating and cooling without electricity
- Basic Family First Aid (Non Accredited) – choking, poisons, CPR and other common injuries
- Job Ready Workshops – Building and strengthening a resume, Interview skills and role plays